When we think about changing the look of a room, the big things are what generally spring to mind. Changing the actual furniture in the room, for example, may be one great way to alter the style, say from Victorian to modernist, overnight. But it’s a very expensive way to change a look, and if that’s the only reason why you are making such pricey purchases you may well find that you will live to regret it.
Small Details to Spice A Room
There is another way, however, to change how a room looks. Apart from moving things around, you can also get new accessories and you will see the difference that this can make. As well as costing you less in the long run, you will also notice that it is often the little things that make all the difference.
Let’s take a look at some of the accessories that can change the feel of a room:
- Area rugs. If you change the colors and designs of your area rugs, or if you add one where before there was none, you will see a noticeable difference. A floral area rug can add a touch of elegance to a Victorian-style living room, while bamboo rugs can give a touch of nature to green, grass-roots décor. A red rug on a white carpet will not just cover up any unwelcome stains, but it will also provide a great contrast.
- Scented, colored candles. Atmosphere is not only about the visual, but can also include fragrances and subtle lighting. A mild fragrance adds a certain feel to a room, such as romance to a bedroom or freshness to a bathroom. Soft lighting can create an intimate backdrop to a quiet meal together or make a small house party feel much more atmospheric.
- Wall hangings and pictures. If you like Victorian décor, for example, you could put up a few musical hall and vaudeville posters and playbills, and this will make an incredible difference to the atmosphere. Pressed flowers inside a frame give a room a natural feel, while examples of abstract art are perfect if you are seeking a modernist look.
- Wind chimes are an excellent way to give a room a surreal feel. Their unusual sound adds atmosphere and chic to any home.
- Lighting is also an important part of how a room can look. If you want a room to look larger, brighter, and more formal, you need stronger lighting. Conversely, dim lights can give an illusion of smallness and softness, making a room look less official and more intimate and cozy.
- Chinese or Japanese screens are a useful way to create privacy in a very large room where necessary. Conversely, if you are short of space, a well-placed screen can create an extra chamber if you don’t have another room at your disposal. It also means that any such changes do not need to be permanent.
Changing the look and atmosphere of a room does not have to cost you loads of time, effort, and money. Introducing a few accessories and using your creativity should make all the difference.