In this tutorial you will learn how to create a reflection in Photoshop CS5 with simple tools.
1) First, you need a simple image, obviously. You can create a reflection for any layers you might have, even if you’re working with smart objects. The steps are the same.
2) You need to create a copy of the layer that you want to reflect. To do that, hold Alt (Option key on MAC) on the keyboard and click and drag the original layer.
3) Now for the reflection, we need to flip the copy of the layer vertically to achieve the desired effect. You fill find the Flip Vertical option in the upper menu in the Edit section, then in the Transform menu it will appear like this:
4) With this new layer selected, you need to create a Layer Mask. Press the small icon under the layer list on the right hand side menu.
5) Having the layer mask of the reflected image selected, we will apply a gradient over it, in order to make it fade. Also you can add a transparency to this layer to get a more real reflection. Select the Gradient tool, and just hold Shift while dragging the mouse over the layer, until it looks like you want it to.
For a (hopefully) more detailed version of this tutorial, you can watch this video:
If you need help with Photoshop, or think there is something we can help you with, just leave a comment and say so. We don’t bite.